Friday, May 3, 2013

Design Day Friday: William, Kate, The Bump and The Union Jack



I must admit I have always had a bit of a Brit crush. I remember waking in the wee hours of the morning to watch Charles and Diana marry, then Andrew and Fergie and later to watch Diana being laid to rest. I was so captivated by the tradition, the grandeur and the elegance of it all. Recently, as I was working on my current archaeology project also know as "the garage," I discovered a tea cup that my mother gave to me. It was a commemorative piece to celebrate the marriage of Charles and Diana. I smiled. I thought about the hours I would pour over magazines and draw my "someday" princess wedding gown in my notebook. I even tried my hand at drawing a sketch from a photo of Diana on the cover of Ladies Home Journal. Now, William and Kate have sparked another royal crush. This time its hip and young and fresh just like the couple and their bump-to-be. This British invasion has crossed into the design world. We are seeing those traditionally English elements and icons with non-traditional twists from rocker chic to whimsical fabulous.

Jeeves and Wooster Pendant Lights
Lumbar Pillow
Dog Collar
Vintage Wash Quilt Set
Book Page Wall Art
Queen Wall Clock
Baby Shoes
Turkish Hoodie Towel
Union Jack Sofa

As I always say the key to pulling this off is to only use one statement item in a room. If you create a "theme-y" looking it will come off as cheap and cluttered. Keep it simple and highlight your focal point. Cherio!

No comments:

Post a Comment