Monday, March 4, 2013

Etchings From The Man Cave Monday: Tying a Proper Tie


www.details.com
I attended a parochial school and boys were required to wear ties. Back in the day, the wide ties were in, but by high school it was all about the skinny tie. (and the mullet).  I remember guys running around school with these oddly tied strips of leather and fabric hanging awkwardly around their necks. Not a good look. So imagine my shock, when the hubs and I were shopping recently and he picked up a knit reincarnation of the skinny tie and said with excitement how much he wanted one! He missed them. Really? Well they are back fellas. (but the mullet is NOT). In an effort to prevent the tie faux pas' of the past, I'm here to help. (Insert girl flying with cape here). There are different ways to tie a tie. Depending on the width, fabric and look you are going for, there is an art to the knot.  So, I compiled some of the best tutorials I could find to share with you.

First, for my wonderful husband the skinny:



Next, you can never go wrong with a properly tied classic full Windsor: (Sorry, on some browsers this link is acting a little wonky and shows the "skinny" link again.  If you watch the first one, it should roll to the full Windsor..or so I hope:) Working on a fix!

Just to be different, you should try the Eldredge knot just once. You will be sure to dazzle:



Finally, for the dapperest of dude, the bow tie. It's not just for weddings and proms anymore. Pair it with jeans for a look that is funky and edgy. It should never be printed on a t-shirt and worn as a tuxedo:



Even an inexpensive tie can look crisp and finished if it is tied properly. Time to kick up your style fellas. No clip on ties aloud! Ever.Ta!

2 comments:

  1. Why do I think of your brother John when I think of a bow tie??? lol Thx for the tips~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! John was rocking the bow tie at an early age.

    ReplyDelete